Enotec Imports, Inc. | Degani
page-template-default,page,page-id-15519,page-child,parent-pageid-15395,woocommerce-no-js,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,paspartu_enabled,columns-4,qode-child-theme-ver-7.7,qode-theme-ver-17.2,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12,vc_responsive

Wine Region: Veneto

Winemakers: Aldo & Luca Degani

Total Acreage Under Vine: 15 acres

Estate Founded: 1988

Winery Production: 6500 cases

View Website


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Since the early 1900’s generation after generation of the Degani family have dedicated their efforts to growing grapes on this estate. It wasn’t until the 1970’s that they began producing and selling wine locally, and then in 1988 began international exportation. Azienda Agricolo Degani is still a family run operation, all activities from growing and picking of the grapes, to winemaking, bottling and selling are conducted by members of the Degani family.

Degani is the exception rather than the norm in the Valpolicella area – it’s a rarity to find such a boutique family-run operation that still grows, produces and bottles entirely from their own vineyards. With the retirement of Sante Degani in 1980, the younger family members assumed responsibility. Still today, Aldo and Luca Degani handle the winemaking and Zeno Degani is responsible for the vineyards.

Location of Vineyard

The Azienda Agricolo Degani vineyards cover 15 acres on the hills around Verona at 120-180 meters above sea level in the heart of the wine producing area known as Valpolicella Classico. Specifically, they cultivate vineyards in Fumane, San Pietro in Cariano, and Valgatara – which are all farmed according to sustainable practices. The exposure is typically south-east facing which allows for better sun. The vineyards are planted with 90% Corvina and Rondinella, with other varieties making up the remaining 10%.

Winemaking Philosophy

Aldo and Luca Degani, while innovative, believe strongly in making wine that adheres to the classic style of this region. Each vineyard as it’s replanted, is now being returned to the old world way of Pergola trellising, which means vineyards with fewer vines and better quality. This decision to return to this way of cultivating, used since Roman times, is a testament to their commitment to quality. Additionally, the Degani’s are firm believers that if a particular vintage is not of a certain quality, they do not make any adjustments or additions, they simply don’t produce it.